Sunday, October 26, 2008

Thing 19: Discovering Web 2.0 Tools

This was a fun "thing." I chose to expore Geni, a genealogy website that helps you create a family tree that you can then share with family members. I like that it is pretty straight-forward and easy to figure out. The "help" section is actually very helpful and easy to navigate. Setting up my immediate family tree was really fun, and I invited some family members (via email, courtesy of Geni) to check it out. One thing I dislike is that it's hard to view the entire family tree at once...it gets so small the names disappear. It's kind of awkward to navigate the family tree with the arrows, but it's fine. And I haven't found a way to print it out...that would be a really helpful thing. I like that it's so easy to invite people to check it out; that's a great feature.

As far as applications for a library setting, I think this would be a fantastic genealogy tool, especially when combined with a genealogy class, perhaps.

No comments: